Where are you?

A place for the people wanting to be coached and for club coaches
DavidP

Where are you?

Post by DavidP » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:53 am

WHERE ARE YOU?

In a recent Skywings edition a pilot went missing when flying in Wales. The pilot eventually turned up safe after flying for several hours. The same thing has concerned me for quite a while. How do our fellow pilots or non-flying friends know we are still flying, landed safe or worse still hurt themselves? I have explored various options that solve this issue. The need is to have a system that emits data relating to current location, speed and height. This is what I have found so far:-

Buy a vario that offers this, for example Flymaster GPS+ or Live. Very good solution, however, if like me I already have a GPS Vario and not willing to upgrade at a cost of a few hundred pounds. Also, there is a monthly cost for the sim card, about £3.

Loctome or Location 360 app on your phone. Good solution, but it is chargeable after the free trial periods.

Use XCsoar app and Skylines. This appears to have the problem solved. Both are free and run on your phone. I tested this for about 5 hours and I had plenty of battery left. I also carry a small very low cost phone as an emergency phone in case my main phone runs out of battery. XCsoar tracks your flights like a GPS vario and emits a low data signal via the internet to the Skylines platform. Anyone with a Skyline login can see where you are, height and speed.

XCsoar: from Playstore or App Store
Skylines: https://skylines.aero/tracking/

dominic

Re: Where are you?

Post by dominic » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:34 pm

This looks great David.

Any chance we could see this at the next meeting?

Dominic

DavidP

Re: Where are you?

Post by DavidP » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:41 am

Happy to do a demo if anyone wants one, 19.30.