Keeping our eye on the ball and talking to each other

Al place to chat about anything and everything
tojo

Keeping our eye on the ball and talking to each other

Post by tojo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:46 pm

In all the time I have been in the Cayley club, the issue of where meetings are held has been raised many times. Often with justification, and perhaps this could be the case currently, it’s worth remembering that there are always two sides to any debate.

The other common regularly reoccurring theme, which is being raised again; is perceived clicks/groups. This is always the way within any club and is not unusual.
In everyday life we all have people whose company we actively seek out more than others. So why should it be any different in a club environment.

In fact for years we actually created two groups for a Hull V York comp, it was amazing how quickly we all became die hard members of each group. Even though we were often competing against our regular flying buddies.

Perhaps folks who are allowing themselves to get agitated over these minor issues, could look at the current issues that may lose us sites and also who is actually actively looking after all of our interests.

A meeting venue which suits the majority of the membership is obviously desirable but not critical.

However for a small club to lose one of its best sites is a real issue, I guess we are all more interested in flying than going to meetings.

Perhaps it is worth thinking about what would the end result be if the meeting venue never changed for the next ten years.
Conversely what would happen if a local council or other body with statutory powers over land access and land uses banned us from flying a site/sites.

I have lots of first-hand experience of the mechanics and difficulties of negotiating/renegotiating sites. I have been involved in site negotiations throughout Yorkshire. Including Model Ridge/Carlton Bank, Sutton Bank, Millington, Hole of Horcum, Bridlington, Reighton, Speeton, stoup brow, Boon Hill, and quite a few others.

Consequently, I strongly believe in good site etiquette and management to avoid at all costs having to re-negotiate them.

Imagine if you owned a piece of land, what would motivate you to have lots of people turning up to do what we do on it; especially in these litigious times ?

Often the motivation from a private landowner, is a common interest and wanting to share, usually such land owners are really decent kind giving people.

However this is not the case when you are dealing with large national or county organisations, councils and special interest groups.

There are usually many conflicting interests and once the question of possible Litigation rears its ugly head, then you are very lucky to overcome the immense power which the fear of a possible law suit creates.

I would urge for people to think and maybe reassess what are the current issues for our club, which could affect what is our common bond and love.

The absolute joy and freedom which foot launched free flight provides, like the title says let’s not allow ourselves to have our eye taken off the ball.

Moses

Re: Keeping our eye on the ball and talking to each other

Post by Moses » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Some very good points made and i agree with 90% of what you say T.J . As you pointed out there are 2 sides and as i don't wish to become a spokes person , lets hope members use this excellent forum to discuss issues, as you say it is hard work to gain a site and can be very easily lost. Safe flying to all

CayleyWeb
Site Admin

Post by CayleyWeb » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:47 pm

I think there's some very good points raised here.

What about if the club holds every other meeting at a different venue possibly closer to the Hull area?
Happy for people to suggest and organise a venue and I will suggest it to the committee. How about we aim for the May meeting?

Let me know about venues and I'll post it on the website.

web@cayleyparagliding.co.uk

CayleyWeb

Suziesaurus

Post by Suziesaurus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 pm

We need to find a venue for the May meeting which will help other members to attend. Any idea's? Hull, Driffield, Brid. Scarborough, York, Leeds ???? We are scattered all over the place but your input would be good.

tonyh

Post by tonyh » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:07 am

Cottingham?

tonyh

Post by tonyh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi,

the King Billy in Cottingham has a back room which can be booked for free. If appropriate I could see if it's available?

This isn't entirely virtuous on my part as it's in walking distance for me :-)

Tony

harry

Post by harry » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18 am

For the record the reason club meetings have been held In Fangfoss for the last 3 years is because , at the AGM 3 years ago no one volunteered for the post of chairman, or any other office. Tony Dew volunteered to take the chairs job simply to keep the club alive. Tony went to the usual venue the Star Inn at North Dalton, on 3 occasions, only to find that he was the only one there , so why bother travelling to attend a meeting alone.
So this is why we are where we are
Tony J makes very valid points
A club is an organisation for people of like minds and interests to organise things for its members . So we must get involved to change and improve things. And Attend club meetings to voice opinions, so that a consensus can be realised
Have fun Harry