club sites

Al place to chat about anything and everything
Moses

club sites

Post by Moses » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Just a thought for all to ponder on , might be an idea if the various means of communication are used more often to inform club members if anyone is going to a particular site, i guess all club sites are open to all members (depending on rating) i often see 2 or 3 pilots having a good day on a site after the event, i for one communicate with many pilots to my intentions of going flying, be it a cayley site or not. i'm sure if this was put to an open forum to members a lot would agree with my sentiment

dominic

Re: club sites

Post by dominic » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:20 pm

I agree entirely Geoff.

I'm always very grateful when people post a day or two in advance when they're considering a particular site.

There is a habit in some clubs of specifically not posting where people are thinking of flying because they're concerned that the site will be overcrowded. One of the things that makes the Cayley club so special is the efforts people will go to include others. Like the time we had about 20 pilots at Brid, with room in the air for two at a time, and we all took it in turn (5 minutes at a time) to make sure everyone had a go. I wouldn't like to see the club go down the other route and would urge everyone to let others know if they think there's a flying opportunity out there.

Let's keep Cayley special and let everyone know where and when we're thinking of flying.

Dominic

tonyh

Post by tonyh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:56 am

Following up from this I tried to use the Shoutbox to see if people thought Rushup would work tomorrow but unfortunately when I clicked on it nothing happened.
Cheers Tony

Berzo

Post by Berzo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:17 pm

So, I've heard there's a bit of discussion about letting folks know about when and where anyone is going flying! Unfortunately there IS a real devision in the Club, - that of qualification. Unfortunately with the exception of Horcum, the only inland sites the Club have ever enjoyed having use of, have been exclusively for fliers with the 'pilot' qualification! This is for the best possible reason, that of safety! We don't have nice forgiving beginners thermaling sites. That's why in the past I've organised Club flying trips to areas where sites are more suitable. For whatever reason, the last two times I've tried this there has been as good as nil response, but I'll keep trying.
As many will bear out I have always helped Club members to gain the qualifications to enable them to fly our other sites, and am always happy to do so. I will not however encourage people to fly where they really ought not to be flying. We cannot advertise use of these sites as the land owners are quite insistant that we don't have large numbers of fliers or un-qualified pilots using them.
So although it would be nice to be able to have everyone informed about when it might be on at any site, it would be quite wrong to do so.
Having been involved for many years in site negotiations and maintaining good relations with land iwners. I do not want to see us lose precious sites as a result of misuse by those who for whatever reason do not want to comply with the site rules.

DavidP

Post by DavidP » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:25 pm

I get it for Horcum and especially Millington. It is a shame though the club is fast becoming who has done what, rather than let's do. We appear to have developed into not just two fractures, but many clicks, lots of sub groups, which is a shame.

CayleyWeb
Site Admin

Post by CayleyWeb » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:55 am

Hi Geoff, David,

At the next club meeting on the 19th September, we will discuss the best way forward to keep everyone updated.
I have suggest using a Telegram Group that the club advertises and we try to restrict this to Cayley members, otherwise it'll get too big and irrelevant to the Cayley Club members. The DSC have a similar Telegram Group to discuss flying potential for the day and it works well.

There is already a Telegram group setup by Ed for the club and I have suggested we use this.
The invite link is here https://t.me/joinchat/AuwSigeuuJgK_q-lw3rPYQ

Thanks,

Richard

CayleyWeb
Site Admin

Post by CayleyWeb » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:38 pm

OK the Telegram group worked well today and Alex, Geoff and I met up and flew until it got too strong!
I have published a how to guide here.

http://www.cayleyparagliding.co.uk/docs ... legram.pdf

Job done!

Richard

CayleyWeb
Site Admin

Post by CayleyWeb » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:38 pm

OK the Telegram group worked well today and Alex, Geoff and I met up and flew until it got too strong!
I have published a how to guide here.

http://www.cayleyparagliding.co.uk/docs ... legram.pdf

Job done!

Richard

DavidP

Post by DavidP » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Excellent idea. Let's close down all of the other messenger and whatsapp things. Maybe this one should be policed to discourage poor club behaviour?